Lockdown is still very real and that means that a lot of people still don’t have access to heavy weights – but this doesn’t mean that you still can’t be making progress towards your goals!
Heavy weights are a luxury and lifting them certainly has a whole bunch of benefits such as:
- Building strength and power
- Increasing bone density, and
- Boosting self confidence
But whilst the gyms remain closed, what can you be doing to make sure that you’re still moving towards your goals?
Some people are totally focused on lifting the most weight possible and right now they are best served laying a foundation for doing so when they have access to heavy weights again by bringing up weaker areas and improving their general fitness so they can recover faster between exercises.
But you’re probably not just focused on the weight that you’re lifting – you care more about things like your clothes fitting better, life’s daily tasks feeling easier or having more energy on a day to day basis.
In which case there are a few things that you can focus on with limited weights to keep your body going and to keep your mind fresh.
Have you tried?
- Doing your reps at a slower tempo so your muscles are forced to work hard to maintain control all the way up and down?
- Adding pauses at different stages of each rep to build strength?
- Increasing the number of reps that you do with the same weight to stimulate muscle growth?
- Making your exercises harder by trying different versions of them such as single leg work instead of squats?
- Decreasing your rest periods between exercises so you are working at a higher intensity without even changing anything else?
- Combining any of these strategies to get even more bang for your buck?
If you try any of these tactics out and unlock the progress that you’ve been searching for then please let us know! If you’re struggling to know how to apply these things to your training then get in touch so we can help you out!